Monday, February 22, 2016

Book Review: Making A Living Without A Job; Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love by Barbara J. Winter.


If you have been reading my blog, you know that I have been out of work for awhile.  Thank goodness, I just landed a job last week and have my orientation today.  During my time not working however, I read this book, Making A Living Without A Job by Barbara Winter and it was great.

This is not another book that gives you a list of ways to work from home, though there are some suggestions in the book.  This book is all about attitude and passion.  In order for someone to start their own business, they have to have the correct mindset and enjoy what they are doing.

Making A Living Without A Job assumes that you are just thinking about taking on working for yourself.  All of Part I is about getting to know yourself.  There are prompts for exploration of your personality and desires so that you can figure out which direction would be best for you.  This book is all about helping you create your individual plan according to your interests and passions.

Part II takes you into discovering your assets and assessing where you stand and where you need to go.  It goes over obstacles and how you need to look out for yourself.  The author uses her own experiences throughout the book as examples of things that work or don't work.

Part II is all about exploring your options.  Barbara Winters tries to open your eyes to the unlimited possibilities for working on your own.  She does give some examples or suggestions but also explains how to find your own opportunities and how to act on them.

Part IV gets into the nuts and bolts of what you need to do to actually run your own business.  She discusses marketing techniques and problems you may encounter.

Part V is about making your dream real.  She is very honest in telling the reader that most ideas are not get rich quick schemes, but will be lean at first and will take time.  She emphasizes that this is a lifestyle change not just a career change.

Overall, I loved this book.  It is well written and is an easy read.  Barbara Winters really gets it that owning your own business is all about attitude and self confidence.  She provides real examples that are inspiring and discusses real problems like the naysayers that you will encounter.  What really resonated with me was the discussion about how our parents push us to work for corporate America when many of the people who work corporate jobs are miserable.  We have to break that mindset and find what makes us happy and content.

By the time that I finished this book, I had fleshed out several avenues that I want to go to create extra income.  Will I ever become completely job less?  Only time will tell.  I am not ready to go that path just yet.  But, I would suggest this book to anybody that is thinking of being their own boss.

* Please note that I am an Amazon Affiliate and will receive monies from your purchase through the link at the top of the page for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment