Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day or Not






Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope you have a great one.  I know I will because I will be with my boyfriend who is pretty great.  In fact he is a little bit of a romantic, so I really don't expect today to be any different than normal because he has no problem telling me how much he loves and cares for me.  Everyday could be Valentine's Day for us if it were measured as a day of romantic gestures rather than a date on the calendar.

As far as Valentine's Day goes, I am a little bitter on the subject.  The holiday has gone the way of many of the other holidays and has become a marketing spend-fest that emphasizes bigger is better and that each year has to be better than the last.  In fact it has been documented that many breakups happen after Valentine's Day because expectations were not met (Google it, it's real)  And that does not even take into account the alienation of all the single people out there.  

Relationships are hard enough without throwing in a day of expectations and worry.  If the couple has not gotten to the point of exchanging "I love you's" then Valentine's Day is extremely awkward.  And in a real relationship where the couple do acknowledge love for each other, there should be regular expressions of love that are comfortable for that couple.  Not everybody likes over the top extravagance and often the simple things mean more anyway, especially when they are spontaneous and not inspired by the marketing machine that has taken over the day.  

My guy regularly sends me texts during the day while he is at work telling me how much he appreciates and loves me.  That is more precious to me than anything he could do on Valentine's Day.  He is also known for declaring his love to me in Facebook posts which have gotten a "gross" response from my teenage daughter.  

So, today will be like most other days for us.  Yes, I got him a card, though I contemplated not getting one since I think I often write better than any cheesy card anyway.  Besides no card could say perfectly what I would like to say to him if I wanted to sum up all my feelings for him.  I will cook dinner at home because who really wants to go through the hassle of fighting crowds and waiting hours for a table. We can eat well at home and then curl up together on the couch and have watched a movie in the time that it would have taken to have gone out.  We express our love regularly, so no grand gesture needed.  

So once again, Happy Valentine's Day, or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment