Monday, February 15, 2016

Health: Allergies and Losing Weight


I must admit that over the years, I have learned quite a bit about health and nutrition.  I am in pretty good health considering that I am middle aged.  I am not on any prescription medication and I would consider myself strong and fairly fit.  The only 2 issues I really have are being overweight and allergies.   

All my life I have had to deal with allergies.  I am pretty much allergic to anything that has ever lived.  You may laugh, but unfortunately it is close to true.  My official list (that I can remember) is as follows:  dogs (slightly), cats, horses, feathers, wool, rats, some bees and wasps, mold, many types of grasses, oak trees, ragweed, and the penicillin family of antibiotics. And this is only includes allergens that were included in the battery of tests I have had to undergo.  I have calculated that in my life, I was on allergy shots for a total of 19 years.  That is really ridiculous when you think about it.  Currently, I am on 2 different types of over the counter allergies pills so that I don't have to suffer through chronic urticaria, otherwise known as hives.  And if you have every had to deal with a skin condition, you know that it can be debilitating.  

I am lucky in the fact that I do not have food allergies.  I was having some issues a couple of years ago, so I did a whole elimination diet where you remove all foods and reintroduce them so you can track any reactions.  The diet was a 6 month endeavor but thankfully it was determined that I did not have any food allergies.  The diet however, did clear up my issues, so we suspect there may be sensitivities, but no allergies.  It was through this diet that I learned a lot about nutrition.  I had to make wise choices in the reintroduction of the foods so that my health would not be affected from lack of nutrition.  

As far as being overweight, this has been a struggle ever since I had my daughter.  I am not to the point that I am morbidly obese, but I need to lose 55 pounds to get back down to my pre-kid weight.  I am not sure I could get down that low ever again, but I wouldn't complain if it happened.  But, I do need to lose weight.  Right now, I am as big as I have ever been and I don't like it. 

A lot of people tell me that I don't need to lose weight and that I should love who I am, but they are wrong.  I do love who I am, but I am uncomfortable at this weight.  My clothes are tight and I refuse to go up a size, and I am getting to where I can feel the wear and tear on my knees and other joints.  That is not even to mention that being overweight puts me at risk for metabolic syndrome and heart disease.  So, the verdict is, I'm going to lose weight starting today.  

I don't have just some willy nilly plan to do it, but a real plan that I am implementing today.  I am using "The Skinny Rules"  by Bob Harper.  I picked up the book at the library last week.  The rules seem sound and not terribly extreme, so I am going to follow the 20 rules outlined in the book to lose weight.  Unless I don't see any results at all, I am not planning to use the rigorous diet plans in the book.  I am sure that I could lose weight faster if I do use the diet plans and recipes, but I am going to forgo that because I don't want to be on a diet.  I want this to be a lifestyle change.  I want to incorporate the 20 skinny rules into my life permanently.  I know I will fall off the bandwagon occasionally, but I think these are good rules to live by and I am just going to see if I can make this work.  I will keep you updated on my results.  Feel free to cheer me on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment