Sunday, February 28, 2016

Meaningful Work to Make a Difference

ways to make the world a better place 4 simple ways to make the world ...

When I was looking for work, one of the things that I was looking for was a job where I could make a difference.  Not that I expect to save the world, but I wanted a job that I could feel good about.  In the past, I have had some sales jobs where the whole purpose was to try to get the most money out of people.  There was always an up-sale and a kind of sleaziness to the whole process.  I was trying to avoid that if I could when finding a job this time.

I am happy to say that I succeeded.  My position at the optometrists' office is a needed position and I am part of the process to help people see better.  Not much can be better than that.  I get the benefit of helping people, working in healthcare which is a great field, and I do not have deal with extreme trauma or the demise of patients.  The fact that I am too empathetic and get attached to people is the reason I have avoided healthcare up to this point.  I don't have what it would take to become a nurse or a doctor because I have difficulty detaching from emotions.  I would be crying myself to sleep every night if I worked in fields such as oncology, trauma or hospice.  I really don't know how people work in those fields and kudos to them for doing it, because those really are a great service to people.

As far as Uber, I didn't think that I would get the feeling that driving people around would make a difference, but I do.  I think Uber is a great service to a community.  I have heard so many instances of people being more willing to leave a car at home because Uber is reliable and less expensive than a cab.  Uber is keeping drunk drivers off the road which is saving lives every day.  Also for my daytime calls, they have mostly been rides to work.  So Uber is helping people keep their jobs.  Now that is really making a difference.

So, not only did I get a job that makes a difference and serves people and community with a higher purpose, but I got 2 jobs.  I can work at both with the feeling of "how can I help people today?"  Now that puts a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment